Lost Password?
No account yet? Register
Home arrow Minutes arrow SISWG Plenary Minutes 2009-08-12
SISWG Plenary Minutes 2009-08-12 PDF Print E-mail
Written by Matt Ball   
Wednesday, 12 August 2009

The Regular meeting of the IEEE P1619 Security in Storage Working Group (SISWG) was held on August 12, 2009 at 10:00am PDT, via teleconference and WebEx. Matt Ball was in the chair and also took minutes.

This meeting was sponsored by Sun Microsystems, Inc.

Attendance:


First 

Last Name

Company

Officers

Scott

Kipp

Brocade

 

Fabio

Maino

Cisco

 

Landon

Noll

Cisco

 

Kevin

Marks

Dell

 

Larry

Hofer

Emulex

 

Eric

Hibbard

HDS

Vice-chair

Subhash

Sankuratripati

NetApp

 

Gary

Nichols

PMC Sierra

 

James

FitzGerald

SafeNet

 

Laszlo

Hars

Seagate

 

Matt

Ball

Sun Microsystems

Chairman

Bob

Lockhart

Thales

 

Luther

Martin

Voltage Security

 

Geoff

Hall

Vormetric

 

Alex

Mazuruc

WinMagic

 


Representatives from 14 companies were present, of which 13 had voting rights. 17 companies had voting rights as of this meeting. The quorum requirements are 1/3 of the voting members (6 companies), therefore a quorum was present for this meeting.

Agenda

  1. Introductions and thank sponsors: Sun Microsystems

  2. IEEE Patent Slide Set and Call for Patents

  3. Approval of the agenda

  4. Approval of previous minutes

  5. Review of Previous Action Items

  6. Liaison Reports:

    1. OASIS KMIP (Hubis)

    2. ASC X9F: (Martin)

    3. TCG Storage WG (Hubis)

    4. INCITS T11 (Noll)

  7. General Announcements and Status

    1. P1619.0a Status (Noll/Ball)

    2. P1619.2 status (Maino)

    3. P1619.3 status (Hubis)

    4. Key Management Summit 2010 in Reno, NV

    5. Update on NIST's acceptance of XTS-AES (Ball)

  8. Old Business

    1. (Deferred) Sun Proposals (Details TBD)

    2. Proposed Operating Procedures for Individual voting (Hibbard)

  9. New Business

    1. INCITS/CS1 Liaison

    2. ISO/IEC SC27 Liaison

    3. IEEE Attendance Tool

    4. Responses to P1619 questions posted to the reflector 2009-08-11

  10. Next Meeting

  11. Adjourn


Call for patents:

The chair showed the patent slideset and made a call for patents; none were brought forward.


Subhash moved to approve the agenda; seconded by Bob Lockhart. Hearing no objections, the agenda is approved.

Approval of agenda

Having a quorum present and having no corrections brought forward, the previous minutes are approved.

Previous Action Items

  1. Matt Ball to send out reminder on P1619.2 ballot pool. -- Closed

  2. Matt Ball to ask volunteers for Binary to XML translation. -- Done, but no volunteers have stepped forward at this time.

Liaison Reports

OASIS KMIP (Hubis/Ball):

  • Face to face meeting September 28th and 29th in Gaithersburg, MD at NIST.

  • Need to work on P1619.3 conformance profile.


ASC X9F (Martin):

  • no update. Next meeting is in September 2009


TCG Storage Working Group (Hubis):

  • Working on the ‘Marble’ specification.

  • Need to make sure to stay coordinated concerning key management for disk encryption


T11 (Noll):

  • Met last week in Salt Lake City

  • Fibre channel Ethernet standard was published

  • Next meeting is in October in Sacramento, CA. See http://www.t11.org

  • FC-SP-2 (Security Protocol 2) has restarted.

Status Updates

P1619a:

  • IEEE will consider the PAR submission at the next NesCom meeting.

  • Will investigate single-key XTS-AES.

P1619.2:

  • Draft 11 has been published:

    • Final test vectors have been added and verified

    • Minor typos fixed and draft reformatted

    • All comments have been addressed

  • Sponsor ballot invitation is open until Friday (Sept 14th)

  • Sponsor ballot will start shortly afterwards

  • Current sponsor pool distribution:


P1619.2 Standard for Wide-Block Encryption for Shared Storage Media

 

Eligible Voters by Classification

Classification

Eligible Voters

Percent

Academic

4

 6.8%

General Interest

21

 35.6%

Government/Military

4

 6.8%

Producer

19

 32.2%

User

11

 18.6%

 

59

 100.0%


P1619.3 (Hubis/Ball):

  • Bob Lockhart expects to publish next draft by Friday.

  • Need to continue tracking OASIS KMIP and make sure to complete a conformance profile.

Key Management Summit 2010:

  • Still working on website and attracting speakers

  • Please send speaking proposals to This e-mail address is being protected from spam bots, you need JavaScript enabled to view it

NIST’s acceptance of XTS-AES update:

  • Early draft of SP 800-38E is circulating internally within NIST.

  • Language added to allow changing order of ciphertext stealing blocks

  • Expect to see a public draft soon...

  • The P1619a will also review public comments from NIST and look into integrating these comments.

New Business

Liaison:

  • Robert Lockhart moves that Eric Hibbard be approved as the Liaison from INCITS/CS1 and ISO/IEC SC27 into SISWG. Landon Noll seconds. Hearing no objections, the motion passes.

IEEE Attendance Tool:

  • Attendance tool that integrates with IEEE MyProject.

  • All members would need to get an IEEE WebAccount (do not need to be an IEEE member).

  • The chair will send out information to the group. Please get an IEEE WebAccount before the next meeting so that we can test out the system.



Questions on P1619

The working group received the following questions concerning P1619:

  1. In section 5.1, should/must "Data Units" be of common, equal size?         is this strictly enforced...

  2. If data units are not a multiple of 16 bytes in length (they need not be), then each data unit should do cypher-text stealing for encryption of the last two blocks (see Figure 2).  Is this correct?

  3. If the amount of data to be encrypted is not a multiple of the data unit size, what is typically done? 

  4. Is the end of the data padded (best practice for padding) until it fills a complete data unit.



Volunteers to provide answers on behalf of the working group:

  • Matt Ball



Proposed Changes to Operating Procedures:

Voting membership requirements discussion:

  1. Landon: either 2 of 4, or 3 of 5

  2. Scott Kipp: 2 of 4

Landon Noll moves to approve Eric Hibbard’s proposed Operating Procedures (dated July 1, 2009) with the modifications that voting membership (section 7.2) is achieved after the participant attends “at least two of the last four relevant meetings (including the current meeting)”, and that a quorum (section 9.5) be defined as “50% of the working group voting members, but never less than 4”. Seconded by Bob Lockhart.

Discussion:

  • Eric Hibbard wanted to remind the group the group that there have been quorum issues in the past, and that 50% might be high.

Results of roll call vote:

First 

Last Name

Company

Officers

Vote

Scott

Kipp

Brocade

 

Yes

Landon

Noll

Cisco

 

Yes

Kevin

Marks

Dell

 

Yes

Larry

Hofer

Emulex

 

Yes

Eric

Hibbard

HDS

Vice-chair

Yes

Subhash

Sankuratripati

NetApp

 

Yes

James

FitzGerald

SafeNet

 

Yes

Laszlo

Hars

Seagate

 

Yes

Matt

Ball

Sun Microsystems

Chairman

Yes

Bob

Lockhart

Thales

 

Yes

Luther

Martin

Voltage Security

 

Yes

Geoff

Hall

Vormetric

 

Yes

Alex

Mazuruc

WinMagic

 

Yes



The motion passes unanimously with 13 yes, 0 no, 0 abstain.

Next Meeting:

  • T10 is the week of September 14th

  • T11 is the week of October 5th

  • SNW is the week of October 12th

  • RSA Europe is October 20-22

  • Labor day is September 7th.



Based on group discussion, the next meeting is September 9th at 10:00am PDT, scheduled for 2 hours. Meeting info TBD.

New Actions Items:

  1. (Ball) Craft answers to P1619.0 questions and post to group.

  2. (Eric Hibbard) Create new operating procedures based on changes from motion, and forward to IA for approval and posting.

  3. (Ball) Post new liaison positions on SISWG.NET

  4. (Ball) Remove P1619.3 repeating meetings from SISWG Calendar, and schedule as needed

  5. (Ball) Send out information on getting IEEE web account.



Without further business to conduct, the meeting was adjourned at 11:40am PDT

 
< Prev   Next >
© 2017 IEEE Security in Storage Working Group
Joomla! is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL License.